This is a blog with a Christian perspective on weight loss and healthy living.
Monday, April 16, 2012
Losing Weight For the Right Reasons
As someone who has recently lost weight, I highly recommend it. It is important to make sure you are losing weight for the right reasons. You should only lose weight for you and you alone! I was recently on a message board and one girl was talking about losing weight for her boyfriend. I'm sure the boyfriend will appreciate it,but she needs to want to lose the weight for herself and not to get her boyfriend's approval. When you lose weight for others, sometimes it has a tendency to backfire or you find yourself going back to the same old patterns if you and that boyfriend breakup. If your doctor is the one that recommends you lose weight, he/she is speaking out of concern for your overall health. Your doctor wouldn't recommend it, if he/she didn't think it would be a huge benefit for you. I admit, this weight loss journey started off being about just losing the weight for the doctor(my neurologist). As soon as I started to see results though, I wanted to do it for me! I recently found my blood test results in a pile of my paperwork from last year and was shocked that my glucose was at 97. I do not know why my internal medicine doctor didn't mention or warn me of this. She had sent me all the blood work results and told me everything was fine so I never looked at the test results. It is my understanding that 99 is the highest you can go and then you become pre-diabetic at 100. Diabetes runs in my family. Both my grandmothers had it, my uncle has it and so does one of my aunts. After seeing those glucose levels, it made me so thankful that I lost the weight when I did! If you are overweight and suffer from Type 2 Diabetes or Hypertension(high blood pressure), doctors recommend you to lose weight because it can make you healthier. There have been many cases of people who have been able to go completely off their insulin and their bp meds because they simply lost weight and reduced the sodium in their diet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
HI Lori, What a great blog! You are right, losing weight and getting healthy needs to be a choice we make for ourselves. I remember being younger and losing weight so that I would "look better for him". Ugh. And it did backfire whenever I was upset at a guy or by him. I'd "get back at him" by cheating on whatever diet I happened to be on, and the weight would creep back. There were a few times that I made an effort to get in shape for myself, but not keeping my priorities in order, choosing convenience or work over my health, always got me back to the same place. So now, my goal is health - diabetes, high blood pressure, High cholesterol - all runs on my dad's side of the family. I've also refused to start a family until my weight is at a healthy number. I've known too women who have put their lives and their children's on the line because they were overweight and diabetic (or became diabetic during pregnancy due to their weight).
ReplyDeleteThank you for the info, it is an encouragement!
I agree. You know I did the same thing when I was young to impress a guy. I would try to exercise and stuff but it was only to appease him and it wasn't for my own reasons. *Sighs* The stupid things we do because of men! When you are overweight and pregnant, it is a very dangerous combination. The risks are already high when you are 35 and older having a child! I wouldn't want to add being overweight to it. Granted, I'm 33 now and still single so I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that there won't be any babies coming from me. I won't have a child after 35 because there is more chances of their being birth defects.
Delete